Dental restoration procedures can save teeth and gums, restore normal bites, or relieve pain. That alone ought to be enough to make you smile. Restorative procedures from a skilled dentist can also help you gain back your smile by making teeth look more natural and white. Here are a few of the procedures that can give you a better-looking smile:
· Dentures and partials. For many years, dental patients have relied on dentures or partial dentures to replace missing teeth and gums. These prosthetics can replace smiles, and are removable. Dentists design them to closely resemble or enhance your smile. They last many years, but sometimes need repair or adjusting because of normal wear and tear.
· Fixed bridges. Porcelain bridges replace areas of missing teeth by fixing the porcelain replacements to surrounding teeth. Porcelain can be made to look like natural tooth enamel and is highly durable.
· Dental implants. This newer technology has the advantage over bridges and dentures of connecting directly to your jaw bone. Dental implants use tiny titanium screws that join to bone and halt bone loss. They're more durable than bridges or dentures and last much longer.
· Porcelain crowns. The natural look and strength of porcelain makes it an excellent choice for crowns. Dentists often use crowns, or tooth-shaped caps, to replace teeth that are broken or cracked, worn down, or severely discolored. A crown replaces most of the external portion of a tooth, and is designed to match the size, color, and shape of your other teeth so that your smile looks natural.
· Porcelain inlays or onlays. When the tooth still is healthy but has a large filling, the dentist can add a porcelain inlay between the tooth's cusps, or points. The inlay hides the filling to make the tooth—and your smile—look more natural. An onlay goes between the cusp's grooves and over the cusp's tips. Inlays and onlays also help cover fractured fillings and broken teeth.
Enhancing the natural appeal of your smile makes you feel better, and it's a priority at Premiere Dental Arts. We provide restorative dentistry, along with excellent and complete general dental care and orthodontics. Call us at (301) 662-0222 to learn more about how to maintain and restore your smile.